Thursday, June 09, 2005

Social Service Camp

Well we just returned from Social Service Camp. There were about 130 clients from three different drug and alcohol rehab programs. It was a spiritual camp of sorts. There was a great deal of teaching time and recreation time. All in all everyone seemed to take a lot away from the opportunity. But I walked away wondering, why do our employees have a difficult time talking about God in the program? Its not like they are anti-spiritual they just feel that for whatever reason they can not talk about God. I wonder why?

I will state this I love twelve step spirituality. A God of Your Own Understanding is such a great thing. I mean God reveals himself to people in so many ways. People relate to God in so many ways. I think most Christians really have a problem with this. We see things in this way, God is...(whatever their tradition defines) And we must relate to God in this way...(Again whatever the tradition defines). The worst part is though that each tradition believes itself to be right. Which necessitates others be wrong. Thus the problem of modernity. God is big enough to relate to many different people in many different ways. So maybe we all need to learn something from the Twelve Steps.

One other rant.

I herd at least two people say that it was God's will that someone in their lives had died. You know the crap that we don't understand God's plan but it was his will that my mom died when I was 6 months old and I blamed myself for it. Bull.

Thus Bill's rules for theological thoughts

1) Life happens
2) God rarely intervenes when Life happens
3) God is present when Life happens
4) But God created a creation where Life Happens
5) The greatest explanation comes in the words of "God's final message to creation" "We apologize for the inconvenience"
6) If 5 is true then I am fine with 1 through 4
7) If 5 is not true, then I believe 5 to be true
8) Thus in way 5 is true.

Now on that note:

Be excellent to each other.

1 Comments:

Hello Bill,

Great post! God is bigger than all of our traditional boxes.

By Blogger Dan (aka Br Bozano), at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

At <$BlogCommentDateTime$>, <$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

Site Meter
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring