Saturday, July 23, 2005

Thought on McLaren

Well I finished it. There are two things that really blew me away apart from his deconstruction of modern evangelical hell. First, his word after the last word was grace. I love that. I find it biblical and more then that it rings true. God is a God of grace.

The second thing was that he argued that we are saved by grace through faith (true) however we are judged by our works. I mean I see his point. My problem has always been that as I read the gospels I find that judgment is always based on what is done or not done. It is not about what you believe. This has always bothered me. For a long time I have seen Paul opposed in some ways to the gospels, and I've seen him used this way. What if we've been asking the wrong questions. I mean the question I was taught to ask "if you died today would you go to heaven?" My response to someone on the street asking me this would not be nice if I was not a follower of Christ. (it would not be nice now even though I am.) I think Simpson quotes are in order. What if our question was simply what kind of person do you want to become? What kind of world do you want to leave?

I guess it just all makes sense. Now about the last word? Praise God there is a word after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

At <$BlogCommentDateTime$>, <$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

Site Meter
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring