Saturday, September 10, 2005

God, justice, and wrestling with God

Dwight posted this link. I have wrestled with hell before on this blog. I'm too lazy to go back and find all my blogs on the subject.

Here is the gist of my problem. Conservative Christians (I use the word lightly) have used heaven and hell as an I'm in your out rhetoric for the last few centuries. Catholics used the same issues in the same way before the reformation.

Christ is not concerned about in/out rhetoric in the gospels except to deconstruct that rhetoric. But we have been guilty of using it as a threat. Change and become one of us or be damned has been uttered from too many pulpits.

The rabbi in the above post talks about Judaism and the idea that in Judaism there is the idea of wrestling with God. Arguing and interceding on behalf of people and justice.

But again evangelicals here have a problem. When the question is asked "what is justice?" The answer is always God's standard of Justice. So here is the question: is there a standard of justice which exists apart from, created by, and at times violated by God?

If the standard of Justice is Love, then as I read the OT and portions of NT, like Acts 5, where God (according to the text, which was written by humans and their interpretation of events) did not act in accordance with Love. So this begs the question: Does God then violate justice at times? Can we as humans then intercede on behalf of other beings appealing to this standard of justice? If so, why don't we?

Finally I will through this in here. I believe God gets too much credit and blame. The theology goes that God causes it all so he caused both good and evil.

I guess what I am saying is that Life happens. Sometimes that explains it all.

I have just uttered some thoughts that should provoke thought, anger, and joy. Please share all.

Blessings

1 Comments:

Hello Bill,

Your thoughts have not provoked anger here, but have provoked thought.

Along the lines you're writing, I get unnerved when someone gives God credit for saving their life from a plane crash, yet the rest of the passengers all died. Isn't that a crock? If that isn't spiritual narcissism...

By Blogger Dan (aka Br Bozano), at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

At <$BlogCommentDateTime$>, <$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

Site Meter
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring