Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Urban Army

I posted this over on Ian's blog in response to this comment.

Out of the light
Into darkness
Out of the city
Into the burbs where the darkness lies
Shake of the dust
lower the flag
The Army is no more
into the burbs where the darkness lies
They see the city thinking its so dark
From where I am all I see is light
So they leave in search of brighter pastures
unaware only darkness is there
Like all other churches is the battle cry
And so they die
And so they die
Out in the burbs where the darkness lies.
Out in the burbs where the darkness lies.



I pains me whenever this great urban ministry leaves the inner city in exchange for the burbs to be like all the others.

I've been all the others most suck. I mean God meets people there but its full of middle class sameness.

Besides are we not raised up and called to be with the poor?

Where we not incarnational before incarnational?

Weren't we just a rag tag group of poor people who were being redeemed?

No cadets?

I wonder why.

2 Comments:

I followed the link. It already happened to our Corps and we grieve over it every day. I posted this on my blog October 6,

" It is time for the LORD to act...
(Psalm 119:126). Okay, Lord. No one can anticipate what You will do, but teach me!

"Why do You make me see iniquity, and why do You idly look at wrong?" (Habakkuk 1:3).

So,

"I will take my stand at my watchpost and station myself on the tower, and look out to see what he will say to me". (Habakkuk 2:1).

Lord Jesus, why did You allow men to move a Salvation Army Corps to the rich and new part of town? Once we were a Corps Community Center. Now we are a Corpse Center. The poor must drive here at $3.00/gallon for gasoline when they used to be able to walk to us. Perhaps our critical donor has a point when he says we only serve to enable poor kings.

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, Yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." (Habakkuk 3:17-19)."

In our case, our Corps Council resigned and our fifty member advisory board also. Made no difference. We did a Winter Day Shelter last winter and it cost us $900/month for gasoline to transport people to our rich side of town location. We haven't had an advisory board for years, now. Do I sound bitter? Habakkuk bitter!

By Blogger glorybound9, at 7:33 AM  

Addendum,
At least one good thing came from our location here, though:
Tolani came and we got to send her to Crestmont. God is working through even our worst nightmares, which i guess is the point of Habakkuk.

By Blogger glorybound9, at 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

At <$BlogCommentDateTime$>, <$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

Site Meter
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring