Sunday, January 01, 2006

Alive

I think beginning to feel alive. I have spent the weekend in bed with something nasty. Anyway, some good stuff is happening at our church. We can now do the work on the chapel thanks to a generous anonymous donor.

This has lead me to some thinking on generosity.

Scripture tells us in Matthew 6:
1“Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2“So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 3But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

When I drive around I see buildings named after people, when I visit other Army units I see camps, halls, youth centers, chapels, and a senior residence named after major donors. Is there anything wrong with this practice?

Joan Kroc's name will be plastered all over this country before the end of the decade.

In Eastern Orthodox circles they take this seriously. They are very generous as long as no one knows. Threcipientnt can never know if they find out Orthodox believe that they havtheirer blessing and God will not bless them. This donor gave us $15,000 for our chapel and I can not even send a thank you letter. I'm shocked. I thought I would at least put up an "in Memory of" plaque. I am at a loss. I see the different mindsets and it blows my mind.

But is it wrong to seek or give recognition to those who give? I guess I am just wondering what to do with this passage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

At <$BlogCommentDateTime$>, <$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

Site Meter
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring